Friday 7 June 2013

on repeat.

The very first day, thirteen hours after his birth as I first laid eyes on him I cried. I cried trying to imagine how this tiny boy would overcome all that was ahead. I had no idea the journey we'd be on or where it would lead us almost three years later. But in the days, weeks and months following that first moment I learnt this sweet soul is a fighter. 


We arrived here in Calgary yesterday.  Today marked an official first step to the transplant process.  Kiah went to the operating room around 1:45 where a Bone Marrow Harvest was performed.  They removed some of Kiah's own stem cells as a precaution.  In the event that the transplant is unsuccessful his own stem cells can be returned to his body.  The whole procedure took about an hour and he spent another hour in recovery.  When we were called in to see him he was screaming, tears flooding his cheeks.  Scared and confused he nuzzled in and cuddled me close.  I watched his sweet face just as I had done on that very first day. Remembering how I felt in those moments, scared of what was to come.  

Truthfully today was much the same, still there are so many unanswered questions and the future is unclear.  But behind all that uncertainty there is wonderment and awe of who he is. What I do know for sure is that just as he has proven from the very second of his birth our boy is a fighter.  


Ps. That little fighter spent the whole evening running circles around this Momma and Gramma too.

the very first seconds...



No comments:

Post a Comment